Pages

Monday, January 6, 2014

About Me- Jeremy Hsiao



Hello everyone, my name is Jeremy Hsiao and I am a senior business major. I grew up in Taiwan and immigrated to the United States when I was six. I have a younger brother and a guinea pig at home. On campus, I am involved with Active Minds, a mental health advocacy group. In my free time, I enjoy exercising, reading, painting, cooking, and thinking. One fact that people don’t usually know about me is that I have been a pescetarian for over 3 years now. This means I limit my protein consumption to mostly legumes, seafood, eggs (my favorite food!). Over spring break, I am excited to serve the students directly and I look forward to getting to know each and every single one of you! 

The article that I want to share with you all is a letter submitted to the Post from a former teacher. This veteran teacher quit teaching because of increasingly hostile situation for teachers. Her letter provides great insight into the mindset of the current culture surrounding education. In her poignant letter, the author questions the current education reform’s unwavering focus on improving education by standardization. Her pointed analogy of the teacher-parent relationship to that of store clerks and unruly customers exposes the divergence of expectations among the stakeholders in the shifting culture. The stakeholders in the education equation include the teachers, parents, school administrators, government officials, and often forgotten, the students. In this volatile cocktail of exorbitant adult expectations and egos, I believe that the students bear the brunt of the externalities of this culture shift. While I am not sure about whether reversing the culture is the correct path or even possible, I believe that a common expectation among the stakeholders can dramatically guide this reform towards better education for our students. I believe that the core of this expectation is what we want our students to be prepared for. Do we want them to prepare for college, a job, a career, or life?

No comments:

Post a Comment