Pages

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

About me- Michelle Hahm

Hello all, I’m a senior Graphic Design major and Art History minor. I mostly grew up in Potomac, Maryland where I attended Winston Churchill High School. On campus I volunteer at the UMD Help Center and paint sets for CSPAC. In my free time I like reading, drawing, and enlarging marshmallows to extreme sizes via microwaves.

While I don’t intend to go on to teaching as a full time career, education has always been of great interest to me. I’ve always found it fascinating to read about diverse education systems, and how different societies respond to the next generation’s needs. As someone who enjoys the arts, I’ve continued to keep an eye out to see how schools might possibly encourage creative thinking into their curriculum.

I haven’t chosen an article, but I’ve picked a TED Talk discussing how schools currently might be detrimental to creativity. One example emphasized upon was of a girl who couldn’t keep still in school or complete her work her time. Instead of being diagnosed for ADHD, it was suggested that she be put in a dance school where she would eventually thrive in her career.  Perhaps in the future solutions might be generated for more specialized educations where students who don’t fit in the current mold can prosper.



No comments:

Post a Comment