Pages

Sunday, December 29, 2013

About Me- Erin Fisher

I am a senior math major and education minor. I grew up in Bethesda, Maryland with my blended family. I have a mom, dad, stepmom, half-brother, and half-sister. Although my circumstances may not be ideal I love both my families and consider myself very fortunate to have two loving families.

I went to Walter Johnson High School and ran cross country and track. I've always wanted to be a teacher, but recently I changed my mind. My original plan was to go to grad school after college to get my teaching degree, but now I want to get a job using my math degree. Even if I get a math job, later in life I want teach high school math. Currently, I work as a math coach at Math Success and as an RA at Centreville.

Unfortunately, will not be able to read all of your posts until late January because tomorrow I depart for Spain. I have only been out of the country to Canada, so I am looking forward to this opportunity.

The article I found is about closing the achievement gap. Currently, public schools are funded by property taxes meaning areas with high real estate values have more money for their public schools. In contrast, poor communities have public schools with fewer resources. The article calls for federal action in order to fund schools so that there is not this imbalance based on living areas. This is just one solution for closing the achievement gap.

No comments:

Post a Comment