Pages

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

About me - Lea Patch

Hello all!

I hope you are having a wonderful and relaxing winter break (sorry to those of you taking classes...)! I am a senior, graduating in May with a double degree in Criminology & Criminal Justice and Psychology and a double minor in Global Terrorism Studies and Korean Studies. I am a Resident Assistant in Leonardtown and I used to work at the UMD Visitor Center. In my free time I am constantly on the campus farm riding horses and teaching horseback riding lessons with the Maryland Equestrian Club, of which I am a Director. I grew up in Newark, Delaware (that's New-ark, not Newerk as the Jersey-ites might say it) and went to a very mixed public school. Because of my experiences in my high school, I was always interested in education policies. When I got to UMD as a freshman, I joined America Reads*America Counts as a mentor for Counts. After one semester, I became a team leader and I am now the office manager and continue to be involved in education topics. As a shameless plug for AR*AC, our application deadlines are January 28th!!! So if you are interested, you should go to arac.umd.edu and apply today! It is a wonderful experience and you get to work directly with kids in the PG County schools! Plus, if you have federal work study you get paid a lot ;)

In the spring of my junior year I traveled to Seoul, South Korea and studied at Yonsei University as an exchange student. It was the most amazing semester of my life and I fell in love with the language, the people, and the country. Because of my love for Korea and my interest in education, I will be returning to South Korea next fall as an English teacher (as long as I get the job!). Although teaching is not my end-goal in life (I have always wanted to work in federal law enforcement), I think that it will provide me with invaluable experience and cater well to my other interests. 

Although this video isn't about traditional education systems, I thought that it was relevant. This ted talk shows that traditional educations are not for everyone, and that this is one fault with the system. I thought this video took an interesting approach and showed some very cool examples of alternative learning that Logan calls Hackshooling. It also makes several references to the video that Michelle posted just before me. Plus, this kid is a better public speaker than I will ever be and he's only 12...I've got to give him props for that. I hope you enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h11u3vtcpaY

See you all soon!
Lea

No comments:

Post a Comment