Pages

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

About Me -- Meg Cavanagh

I am a freshman at UMD and am currently undecided on my major, but I'm leaning towards the social sciences and plan on minoring in Spanish. Though I was born in Virginia and spent my early childhood in Oregon, my hometown is Catonsville, MD. There, I have a mom, dad, older brother and younger sister. On campus, I live in the Arts Scholars community and channel my creativity into performing with comedy group Sketchup.
I'm really excited to be part of the AB Chicago trip -- I think service through education is both interesting and important.  I don't necessarily plan on going into education as a career, but I was strongly influenced by my high school teachers on a character level. In the trip environment, I see the potential to improve circumstances through simple human connection. That's the part of service I always like the most. Furthermore, I have heard nothing but rave reviews about the Alternative Breaks experience and look forward to joining this team.
This feature from Huffington Post discusses charter schools as a bright potential future for urban education, especially if the curriculum weaves character lessons with academics. Though it is not based on experiences in Chicago, it draws from experience in DC, which I think is of equal interest to us.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/american-teacher/character-counts-observat_b_4418921.html


No comments:

Post a Comment