Pages

Friday, December 27, 2013

About Me - Jeremy Bennie

For a recent class I had to write a "Where I'm From" poem to talk a little about myself.  I couldn't think of a more appropriate way to share where and what it is that has made me what I am today, so I decided I would share it.

"I am from the middle.

The middle of a loving family
Who I value more than anything.

The middle of three boys,
An older brother to whom I always look up
And a younger brother of whom I am always proud.

The middle of nowhere in Massachusetts
In a town where second homes and
In-ground pools were the norm.

The middle of the hockey rink
Where I learned my love for sports.

The middle of a long back road
Part way through a nine-mile training run
To get ready for the cross-country season.

The middle of a high school cafeteria,
A sea of affluent white kids
Expected to go to college.

The middle class,
Having always lived in comfort.

The middle of the kitchen
Cooking Christmas dinner
With my mom every year.

The middle serving
Of many delicious Italian meals.

The middle of pictures
Amongst the many that line
The walls of my home.

I live in the middle
But there is nothing average about my life.
I have been so lucky in the opportunities I have had.
I am surrounded by people who love and support me.
And I expect myself to be the best for them

and make the most of what I have been provided."


Now a little about Chicago--this is an NPR report on a high school in Chicago called Harper High School.  After learning I was going to be participating in the AB experience in Chicago focused on Urban Education, my mom shared this with me having heard it when it was first put on the air.  I found it to be a really insightful look into Chicago's education system.

PS There's a second part too if you're interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment